03 October 2010

From Kijabe to Kalacha

Yes, I know, I fail at remembering to keep the blog updated.

In my defence this last week has been a bit crazy.  And to be honest, I'm not sure how this has happened, but I really don't have anything to say.

So last Friday morning - African time (aka just after lunch) we left Kijabe, finally, and drove 6 hours to Nanyuki.  We stayed in Nanyuki for 3 nights and 2 days.  And the only comment I have to make is to grumble that Nanyuki salesmen are harder to barter with than Kijabe salesmen.

First thing Monday morning (like about 6am) we left for Kalacha.  We stopped in Isiolo for breakfast at about 8.30-9am, and then in Korr for lunch at about 1.30pm.  From Korr we were told it would probably be about 4 hours drive up to Kalacha, so 2 and a half hours later we arrive.  In daylight.  It only took us 11 hours to get here, woohoo!

On arrival Becca and I made the most of finally having a place to call home by unpacking, everything, all at once.  Unless you've lived out of a suitcase for a month with no choice to unpack, you won't understand our urgency.  We gave ourselves Tuesday to settle in and started schooling again on Wednesday.  School-wise it's been a bit of a failure of a week.  In theory we are supposed to do 4 days school each week, and a Wednesday start doesn't leave 4 days, doh!  So we do school Wednesday and Thursday without any major hiccups.  On Friday we arrive to be told that Ja-el's sick, not good when we're already playing catchup.  So Friday we were a student down (in a class of 3 that makes quite a major difference).  We asked the kids whether they would prefer to do school Saturday or do 5 days next week, they voted Saturday, so Saturday morning we turn up to find out that they've forgotten it's a school day - understandable - and are suddenly working with a day that's a good hour shorter than normal.  Add onto that the fact that Ja-el's brain is still slightly frazzled from being ill.  The conclusion?  We're doing school 5 days next week anyway.

Ok, I realise that this has been a particularly boring post, I told you I didn't have anything to say.

And yes, I also realise there are no pictures in this post, apparently I fail at remembering to take pictures too.  I'm going to promise you 2 things, firstly - I won't leave it another week to post again.  And secondly - I'll get some pictures for you, soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment