26 September 2010

What's the point?

What IS the point?  For some the point may be to achieve great things, to do well and be recognised for it.  For some it’s about relationships, finding love or having the most facebook friends.  The question is what’s the point for you?  What makes you keep going everyday?  Why do you do what you do, say what you say, go where you go?  Why, in short, do you live?

I don’t know the answers, sometimes I feel like I should, like everyone expects me to.  Surely the ‘good Christian girl’ knows exactly what the point is?  Surely she’s got everything figured out; what to do with her life, what matters and what doesn’t.  Surely?

I don’t know the answers; I fumble in the darkness, just like everybody else.  I walk as though blind.  Towards, who knows what, with arms outstretched for fear of falling.  Sometimes a light appears just in time to show me that the next step could have been fatal.  And then for a while I know where I am and where I’m going.  I know what the point is.  But it’s not so easy once the light has gone, and, once more, I am walking blind.  Once again I doubt and fear and wonder ‘Where am I going?  Maybe if I just stand still everything will be OK.’  But you can’t stand still in life; you can’t just stay where you’re comfortable.  All I know is that while I may not know what the point of my life is, there is someone else who does.  And that same person knows the point of your life too.  All you have to do is open your eyes, so that when that little flash of light comes, you can see it, and it can guide you.

2 comments:

  1. I don't think anyone really knows the point. If anyone did they'd be very rich...and probably quite miserable.

    Because, in my opinion, it's the mystery that makes life worth living. You don't know what happens at the end of a book you're reading or a film you're watching - and you don't want to. Similarly, I don't want to know the point of life.

    Of course, that's just my opinion. Everyone's is slightly different but that's how I like to think about it.

    One thing is for sure: you're right in saying you can't "stand still" as you say, you can't "stand where you're comfortable". It just doesn't happen.

    I can't write as deep or meaningful metaphors as you, but I'll try this one, which seems to work for me. Imagine if you stand up on a train...you think you're standing still, but in reality you're still moving, because the train is still moving.

    You think you want to stand still, but in reality, if you really were still, you'd get stuck in the middle of nowhere on some train tracks, with your train speeding off in the distance, and you're completely alone.

    Moving is scary. I'm slightly scared (though I'd never admit it), and I'm saddened to be leaving Sawtry, and Sawtry College. But my time here is done. I'm at the end of the line, and I'm changing to a new one - I'll be in Uni as of this month, and will probably feel the same when I leave there.

    So I'm just changing direction. There are questions without answers, so I don't wonder "what's the point". I just accept that no matter what happens, the wheels keep a-rollin'. So sit back and enjoy the view.

    That's how I think about it, anyway.

    EDIT: Whoops, forgot my blogger password so will have to post as anonymous.

    ReplyDelete