25 August 2010

The first 48 hours

Well I'm here, it doesn't feel too strange at the moment, although the fact that I'm staying with a Scottish family in Nairobi might have something to do with that.  At the moment it looks as though we'll be here until Saturday when we'll go to Kijabe to join the Andersens.

I found Becca in the airport, she's pretty much like I imagined, lovely and friendly, with a strong American accent.  It's kinda funny really, despite speaking the same language we constantly have to stop and translate what we are saying.  By the time I found her she was about to board her 3rd flight in the space of 24 hours and so the poor girl was exhausted.

Despite the plane setting off an hour behind schedule we managed to only land in Nairobi 20 minutes late.  We were met by Peter Wilson who's the short term volunteering director for Kenya and Tanzania.  He and his wife, Katy, and their 3 boys, Daniel, Caleb and Levi are our hosts.  They're a lovely Scottish family who have spent time in both Kenya and Namibia in the past.  It's a very full house, as well as the 5 of them, me and Becca there's also Jonny (who incidently was at my orientation in July) and Arne who are going to stay with another family of Andersens (cousins of my Andersens) in Tanzania for 10 months.  When I arrived there was also the Fisher family who have now gone to Kijabe to work at the hospital there.  That's a lot of people in one house.

Caleb and Levi decided it would be fun to throw things at me, I'm assuming it was an attempt to stop me taking pictures, needless to say it failed

Arne, Caleb, Jonny and Peter playing football in the garden


Becca and Levi - the only child in the world who likes this and really asks to be tickled

3 comments:

  1. Hey Emma,

    So sorry I missed saying goodbye to you before you left :( Hope you have a wonderful time; I'll be following your blog till you get back! :)

    I understand the difficulties of translating English to American; the varying definition of 'pants' has provoked some hilarious misunderstandings between me and my cousins! :)

    Your mum also mentioned you might do a prayer list email (does that make sense? I'm paraphrasing); if you do end up doing something like this, could you include me in the mailing list please? My email is tawey@btinternet.com

    Looking forward to more news :)
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehe, do you really have that much of an English accent?! I've never realised! But then again, I wouldn't! Hehe, sounds like you're having a hectic time. Enjoy yourself, I hope you're not too jet-lagged! xxxx Love Georgie

    ReplyDelete
  3. alohaaa!!!!!!!
    hope your having an amazing time... i start scoool on thursday SNORE!!! anyway... have the best time and i expect, like, a trillion photos :P have fun - and dont get a better tan than me :P

    luv ya xxx
    lydi

    ReplyDelete